in Aerospace

Birmingham Airport breaks June passenger record

Posted 12 July 2017 · Add Comment

Birmingham Airport has seen another month of record breaking growth this year.



Figures for June have revealed the Midlands gateway saw over 1.3 million passengers travel through the terminal – giving 16.4% growth when compared to the same month last year.

In total 1,301,962 passengers flew through Birmingham – over 183,000 more than the same month in 2016.

Short haul saw a very significant rate of growth at 17.8% whereas long haul services saw a smaller 2.7% increase.

David Winstanley, Chief Operating Officer at Birmingham Airport, said: “June was our twenty eighth consecutive month of record breaking growth, it’s also the third month this year in which we have seen over a million passengers. These are both fantastic achievements and show how Birmingham Airport’s popularity is rapidly growing.

“We are now fully into the busy summer season and so we expect figures for the next few months to remain very healthy.”

Scheduled traffic accounted for 88 per cent of the total, with charter passengers making up the remaining 12%.

Scheduled traffic overall grew by 18.7%, with significant year-on-year growth to Sofia (+214.6%), Lisbon (+177.4%), Nantes (+146.6%), Rennes (+119.1%), Ibiza (+115.3%) and Burgas (+85.2%).
 
Charter traffic saw significant expansion on services to Antalya (+114%), Montego Bay (+101.6%), Punta Cana (+96.2%), Malaga (+86%) and Munich (+48.9%).
 

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

TEK appointed to manufacture the M777 commanders seat

TEK Military Seating has been appointed as designer, manufacturer and supplier of the M777 Howitzer commander seats for the BAE Systems contract with the Indian MOD, which starts in 2019.

Autonomy for tomorrow's world

In a new cross-government collaboration, the Ministry of Defence (MoD), the Department for International Development (DFID) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) are working together on turning cutting-edge designs for drones and

UK engineering skills enhanced by Cranfield and BAE Systems

Cranfield University and BAE Systems have announced at the Farnborough International Airshow today the extension of an educational partnership that will further enhance the UKís engineering skills.

Tonbridge School fly the flag in international rocketry final

Four students from Tonbridge School, Kent, were named as runners-up after they competed in an international fly-off in the Youth Rocketry Challenge against teams representing the USA, Japan and France at Farnborough International

Farnborough International Airshow sees orders surge worth $28bn to UK

- More than 1400 aircraft orders and commitments at Farnborough International Airshow 2018, as the global industry sees continuing high demand. - Aircraft and engine orders and commitments worth around $190bn to the global

Nasmyth Group to open training centre for its Academy apprentices

Nasmyth Group is delighted to announce the opening of its new Academy training centre for apprentices. The new facility will be based at Nasmyth Bulwell in Pinxton, Nottinghamshire, one of the Groupís 13 individual precision

ODU SK191217191218
See us at
Aviation Africa 2019SMI GMSCBT3005081118FIL18 BT111017220718SMIFAVSBT151118DVD18BT3105200918AdvancedEngin BT1406011118