in Aerospace

Birmingham Airport's March passenger numbers up 8.9%

Posted 13 April 2017 · Add Comment

Record passenger growth figures continue for Birmingham Airport with March showing the airport handled 904,790 passengers – over 73,000 more than the same month in 2016 and an 8.9% increase.



Both long and short haul services saw significant growth with long haul up by 8.3% compared to the same month last year and short haul up by 9%.

Paul Kehoe, Chief Executive Officer at Birmingham Airport, said: “March was a very busy and significant month here at the airport. Not only did we see our twenty fifth consecutive month of growth but we also saw Jet2.com and Jet2 holidays launch and Qatar Airways celebrate its first anniversary.

“Eurowings also launched flights to Vienna and announced Salzburg, which will start in December. These additional airlines and routes along with the busy summer fast approaching means we only expect these record breaking figures to continue.”

Scheduled traffic accounted for 92 per cent of the total, with charter passengers making up the remaining 8%.

Scheduled traffic overall grew by 9.9%, with significant year-on-year growth to Madrid (+143.1%), Wroclaw (+133%), Marrakech (+125.6%), Sal Island (+85.6%), Brussels (+41.8%) and Salzburg (+40.7%). 

Charter traffic saw significant expansion on services to Hurghada (+238.7%), Naples (+151.9%), Malaga (+22.7%), Paphos (+21%) and Grenoble (+6.7%).

 

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

ADS encourages partnership with industry to enhance national security

ADS, the UK trade organisation representing the aerospace, defence, security and space sectors - with over 1,000 member businesses - said today that the Government should work more collaboratively with industry to deliver

Declan Collier joins aviation leaders to debate industry challenges

London City Airport CEO Declan Collier will be one of the keynote speakers at the ATAG Global Sustainable Aviation Summit in Geneva (3-4 October), where industry issues such as protectionism, sustainability and modernisation will be

Kuehne + Nagel awarded ERS Gold Award by MoD

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has awarded Kuehne + Nagel with the Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Gold Award, the highest possible badge of honour for organisations demonstrating support to Armed Forces Personnel.

USW launches aviation engineering education at Dubai South

The University of South Wales (USW) has announced that it will deliver degrees to aerospace engineering students as a key partner at the UAE's new Dubai South development.

General Dynamics delivers two AJAX platforms for GAT

In a major milestone for the AJAX programme, General Dynamics Land Systems–UK has presented vehicles to Government Acceptance Testing (GAT) for assurance testing prior to delivery to the British Army.

Aviation industry heads to Barcelona for World Routes

Barcelona will be the centre of global aviation when the annual World Routes forum (23-26 September) opens in the city this weekend.

SMI MilSat SK0409021017
See us at
Advanced Engineering BT1007021117SMI AirMissBT0305251017SMI FAV BT1007161117SMI12DE BT203280917SMI MilSat BT2907101117Aviation Africa BT18418SMIUAV BT1005280917